Sunday 17 August 2014

#19. Kriegspiel, Part 1 : Developing Board Game From Scratch



Kriegspiel is on. I'm not joking.

For about a month back in my service I've been working on how to make this delusion of mine into reality, and came up with some ideas. This includes gameplay, story, and actual pieces, as much I can. So here we go:

- First time I came up with Kriegspiel it was a trading card game, like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic the Gathering. Then I thought better of it, and considered a miniature game, like Warhammer. After an unexpected yet brilliant experience of Runeage in the army I made it clear: Kriegspiel will be a board game, with cards and other elements.

- What kind of game would Kriegspiel be? The essence of the game will be war; each player will build their army, take base and high grounds, and annihilate the opposing forces from the field. This gives me at least three kinds of elements required in the game: Troop, Base, and Resource. For Kriegspiel, each will be known as Unit, Base, and Core.

- So we have three major elements for the game. The problem is how to combine these elements into a flow of gameplay. Take Magic, for example. First you use Land cards to provide Mana. Then you use manas to play monsters, which takes the major role in the combat. You may also play Sourcery and Enchantments for your advantage. I'm having a similar concept for the gameflow, only I cannot make it out for now. I'll be working on this for the next few months, perhaps.

- As for story... I'm still working on the story, but the structure is almost there. There are three major factions in Kriegspiel: The Red Pricipality, a former city state led by slightly dysfunctional lord, now expanding its territory with merciless troops; The Black Union, a group of city states stood together from the Principality's invading forces; and the White Visitors, the mysterious beings from above, whose intention and identity enigmatic but firepower very well proven. I'll be updating the story as soon as I make it clear enough.

Well... that's it for now, I guess. This is not an easy task, but tell you, it's a very interesting one. If you're interested, feel free to let me know. End transmission.


No comments:

Post a Comment