Friday 7 November 2014

#22. Sid Meier's Civilization... in FAITH (Special Thanks to Nakian)



Before I begin, I'd like to say thanks to Nakian, a superior of mine from my military service. He is one brilliant man, helped me with brainstorming, came up with something really interesting (tell you, in the end it was more of me helping his idea), and even allowed me post his ideas on this Workshop. So here we go:

It all began, as always, back in my high school life. I was doodling with some society and religion stuff, which I cannot recall now, and came up with an idea: Sid Meier's Civilization in FAITH. The player will create a religion, spread it, and conquer the world. Initially it was more of a fantastic setting rather than realistic, influenced by Age of Mythology, such as having "God Power" for player's advantage. It was a decent idea, now that I think of it, but it was a dead idea, for no one around me can program or even make a formal game development scheme. So in my old notebook dead idea of "Dogma" (named for convenience) waited, dreaming, or perhaps believing.

And now the stars are right... or, more likely, I told Nakian this idea and he found it interesting.

Nakian defined the central theme of new Dogma as below: "This is a game of making choices according to the given environment, to design and spread your religion through voluntary acts of the people with the subtle spiritual influences you give." This pretty sums up most of the new Dogma - you are a head of your religion, and you will create, develop, and spread your religion according to the setting around you and your people.

The premise of Dogma will be humanity's adaptation to surrounding environment, and consequently creation of religion as a form of culture. At the initial stage of the game you will given a handful of your people and vast, untamed nature around you. Everything around you - be it climate, landscape, fauna and flora - will decide what kind of life your people will live, and how to survive within itself. Player will take control of people and nature from the most simple questions: What do we eat? What do we not eat? (Sorry, no why or where for now.) What do we do with dead people? By answering these questions your newborn religion will grow, accumulating points on "Stats".

In a nutshell: You start with your people and the nature around you. You and your people will be influenced by the nature. You make a choice, which will revolve on making the best solution for given circumstances. Your choice influence your people, their lifestyle, and consequently the nature around you.

For now these are all we came up with, since the magnitude of the game has escalated beyond our grip. Nakian and I agreed on that this will be more of Risk than Civilization, and still working on realizing the gameplay. I have some ideas for campaigns or mods, but since it's kinda ridiculous making mods on a game that does not even exist, it can wait. As always, if you're interested, please let me know. End transmission.


No comments:

Post a Comment